Thursday, March 04, 2010

Daisy Chains


Last night, sitting on the couch quietly as Emma slept beside me, I played with my new (awesome) iPod touch. 'I wonder if I can find something to do with 'Kindle' in the applications?' I thought to myself while tapping in the necessary letters in the search function. A few seconds later, I was pleased to be downloading the function for free (yes, free) and surfing around the amazon.com Kindle site. 'Let's start with the Bestsellers,' I muttered while scrolling through the list of famous and yet still tempting books. Then, there it was, at number 50: my old writing colleague - Mary DeMuth's book 'Daisy Chain.' For a little while, when we both lived on the French Riviera, we were part of the same writing group. More important than that, though, is Mary is now not only a published writer but also recognised for her Christian fiction and for her determination to explore the darker sides of our relationships with others. As I've already read not only drafts of her earlier work but also her book, Ordinary Mum and Extraordinary God, I didn't hestitate to make Daisy Chain my first (but surely not my last) Kindle purchase. Now, as you probably all know I'm hardly 'Christian material' but I do enjoy Mary's blog and, in general, her refreshing directness and generosity with words and ideas.

Why not check her (and Kindle?) out today!
hugs to one and all,
Robyn








7 comments:

Mary DeMuth said...

What a cool suprise, Robyn! Thanks for your story, for downloading Daisy Chain. So great to connect again!

Mary DeMuth said...

Oops! I spelled surprise wrong.

Heather said...

Robyn, I received a Kindle for Christmas and love it! My first purchase was Margaret Atwood's latest.

robyn said...

Mary, your book was a delight. I gobbled it up and hung on your every word. It felt really 'To Kill a Mockingbirdsy' - just enough to really catch my attention and to make my brain work but not so much that it overpowered (more like a whiff of southern air in the background). I really felt for your characters and just couldn't put my iPod down - Jack kept wandering about and asking if he could read a book on the iPod!

robyn said...

Heather, it was seeing the likes of you and others 'kindling away' on facebook that made me wonder if my iPod would have such an application..and that ot was for free just made my day. I was really surprised by how 'natural' it felt to read and also by how I was able to read it at normal speed, picking it up and puting it down at my pleasure. I'm not a great Atwood fan (though, oddly, Cat's Eye made me think of KU). hugs to you and yours, Robynxxxx

robyn said...

Heather, I meant to say, I'm not a great Atwood fan but would be open to your thoughts on her latest and/or on any other books you're reading at the moment (It's midnight and I just got back from meeting with a local book club for the first time. Wow - what a breath of fresh air!). hugs to you and yours, Robynxxxx

Heather said...

Robyn, I liked her latest because it's a post-apocalyptic kind of book. I really dig tense reads that get into how humans survive physically and emotionally as both individuals and a society in such situations. I think my favorite book in this genre is Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer. it's a young adult book that I cannot recommend enough. A fast read, particularly since I was completely unable to put it down. There are two sequels to that books which I also enjoyed. I just read Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins and found those gripping as well.

When not reading about how people get by after their world/the U.S. falls apart, I have been reading lots of books about sustainable living and food preservation. These topics tie together, don't they? :) I'm currently reading Sharon Astyk's Independence Days: a guide to sustainable food storage and preservation. I like her style and she has lots of good ideas I plan on implementing this summer/fall.

I also have been charmed by how easy electronic reading is. And it is going to make my suitcases so much lighter when I travel! What book are you reading now for your bookclub?