Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Je n'aime pas l'école!


Jack started 'maternelle' yesterday, the French equivalent of preschool. Here he is with his school bag and labelled clothes. Here he is before he sat down on the classroom floor crying, 'I want to go home. Don't leave Mum. I want to go home.' That while all the other children were playing happily. Here he is before he tugged at my heartstrings, making me want to pick him up and make everything alright. Here he is, happy, before Ben and I and Emma left him and went home.
And Emma? Yes, okay that was THE mistake, I thought it would be cute for us all to go to the school together. It wasn't cute: it was torture for Jack who, I think, felt he was being abandoned so that rest of us could go home and be together without him.
Today was Jack's second day at school. Ben took him along while I stayed at home with Emma. They arrived earlier than yesterday so there were fewer kids in the classroom and so Jack was less intimidated. And Ben reassured him that I would come and pick him up, without Emma, at the end of the session. Which I did...so that he and I could go eat chocolate icecream together. Walking home with me he told me peacefully about how he'd played and sung and danced. Ouf.
Seems like he might like school, afterall.

3 comments:

Elisabeth Aiken said...

Oh, no! Glad he adjusted quickly to Day 2. Hope it continues to get easier!

Robyn Shaw Cnockaert said...

Thanks Lis - it was really moving for us to see him 'so alone' but I'm sure it'll get better as the day's go by!
love n hugs,
Robynx

Miz Melly said...

oh darling i'm sorry, that must have been very traumatic! We send big big hugs to you and your wee boy as he gets so big!

he'll be grand in a few days, i'm sure.

xxx