Saturday, November 26, 2005

wintry colours

Hmmm...

I begin to wonder if I'm getting old. Why? Here are five reasons:

1. I finished knitting my scarf today. It's full of autumnal colours and very warm, in that knitted scratchy kind of way.

2. Ben and I are presently baking a yoghurt cake to use up some oldish pears.

3. Waking up late this morning, I read a little in bed before stumbling throughto the kitchen to enjoy tea and croissants with Ben.

4. Our Saturday ritual of visiting the mediatech feels comfortable, as we gleefully return to the house with an armful of CDs and books to pour over.

5. As the snow fell this week, I noticed how the sparrow hawks tucked their heads into their fluffy chests as they sat on bare trees watching the world; I saw how the orange of a fox running across an open field burned like a flame; and, I realised that whenever crows fly overhead in a flock of dark light I cannot help but remember how the bats swirled out of Carlsbad Cavern in New Mexico and out into a different world than my own.

But, if these are the joys of growing old, may the world roll on.

1 comment:

Miz Melly said...

Goodness gracious, but it's an idylic life you two lead. I remember a life at a slower speed than the one I feel like I am living here. What is it about cities? They infect you with haste. I think when this film is over next year, I'm going to come and visit you and slow down some!